News

WISHART WELCOMES WINNING PUPIL TO PARLIAMENT: POSTER HIGHLIGHTS DANGERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE

Posted on the

co-gassafety 2015The Scottish National Party’s Mr Pete Wishart MP, Member of Parliament for Perth & North Perthshire, was delighted to welcome a young visitor to the Houses of Commons.  Finlay Kettles aged 11, a pupil at Coupar Angus Primary, has been named the winner of a national school’s poster competition, promoting the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.  

Mr Wishart said:

“Winning a national poster competition is a great achievement and Finlay’ parents , teachers, family and friends can, rightly, be very proud of him.  I hope he enjoyed his trip down to Westminster.

“I was delighted to be able to welcome Finlay to parliament and see a copy of his poster which highlights a very important safety campaign.

“Carbon Monoxide –  sometimes produced by malfunctioning gas appliances – is a highly poisonous gas.  We can’t see it, hear it or smell it but it can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

”Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

“If your symptoms only occur when you are at home, disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return and if others in your household are experiencing symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time then that could point to carbon monoxide being the cause.

“If you think you have been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning then see a doctor straightaway and get your gas appliances inspected by a registered engineer.

“Above all, don’t leave things too late or leave things to chance, get a carbon monoxide alarm – like a smoke alarm, these relatively inexpensive devices could save your life.”

Share