News

WISHART URGES CONSTITUENTS TO PROTECT AGAINST RISKS OF CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

Posted on the

 Perth and North Perthshire MP, Pete Wishart has urged Perthshire residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

4818 people in Perth and North Perthshire, and over 30 million people, across the country are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning according to recent research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign. The study found that nearly half the population does not have an audible carbon monoxide alarm and four in ten people have not had their gas boiler serviced in the last year. 

Carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste and the only way for people to protect themselves is by installing an audible alarm. Carbon monoxide can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance – such as a boiler and cooker- or an open fire which is faulty or doesn’t have adequate ventilation.

Pete Wishart MP, said:

“Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer as people can’t see, smell or taste it. Around 40 people die in Britain every year from CO poisoning and I want to make sure that my constituents are aware of the risks.

 “That’s why I am supporting calls from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign to ensure every homeowner and tenant in Perthshire is aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and has a CO alarm.”

Lawrence Slade, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! spokesperson, said:

“Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas and an audible CO alarm is the only way to protect yourself and your family. CO alarms are available at supermarkets, DIY stores high street shops or directly from energy suppliers.

 “The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign urges everyone to make 2016 the year there are no deaths from the silent killer. Two simple steps can save your life – just fit and maintain an audible CO alarm and have your fuel burning appliances serviced by a gas safety registered engineer.”

Share