Press Releases


Published date : 15 January, 2013

The Scottish National Party’s Mr Pete Wishart MP, Member of Parliament for Perth & North Perthshire has teamed up with the Heating and Hotwater Industry Council (HHIC) to promote five tips to help locals stay safe and highlight the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as highlighted in a recent episode of popular soap opera Coronation Street. 

Mr Wishart said:

“Carbon monoxide poisoning is a deadly serious matter that is being highlighted by one of the country’s favourite soap-operas. I’m pleased to be doing my bit my teaming up with HHIC and sharing their advice on how my constituents can keep safe.

“HHIC are the representative body of the heating sector and want to make sure people do not suffer the same fate as the character “Fiz” who, in an episode of Coronation Street screened over Christmas, became seriously ill as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty boiler repair undertaken by an unqualified friend as opposed to a Gas Safe registered installer.

“These are not just the kind of top tips that could save you time or save you money.  These five points could literally save your life.”

HHIC’s Roger Webb said:

“Our five tips are there to help people make the right decisions when it comes to their gas boilers and other gas appliances. We are really grateful to Pete Wishart MP for helping to draw people’s attention to the ways they can stay safe. If highlighting these tips saves one of their constituents suffering the same fate as Coronation Streets’ Fiz, then it will be well worth the effort.” 

* * * * *

NOTE: The five tips are:-

  • Make sure the heating engineer is Gas Safe Registered and ask to see ID.
  • Get your boiler annually serviced for safety and to save money.
  • As well as Gas Safe Registered an installer can also belong to the HHIC national Benchmark scheme which provides added reassurance regarding competency.
  • Fit a carbon monoxide alarm inside your home.
  • Be aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning. Remember the six main symptoms to look out for according to Gas Safe Register: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Back to All Press Releases